Utilities play a critical role in managing our electric system and ensuring that the power we get is stable, reliable, reasonably priced and safe. Hence, utilities are in a unique position to help develop and implement strategies to deploy more solar power. Across the country, utilities have taken various steps to integrate more renewable energy into our electricity mix. Often these initiatives are required by state regulatory bodies, however many utilities have become increasingly supportive and innovative as they’ve seen demand for solar and other clean energy sources grow among their customers. Through Solar Market Pathways, utilities are:
- Developing comprehensive strategies to integrate solar into their electricity supply.
- Creating and refining utility-based community solar models.
- Exploring innovative financing solutions.
- Partnering with municipal government and nonprofit organizations to support solar deployment plans and programs.
- Helping decision-makers, solar installers and customers understand costs incurred by rate-payers as distributed solar grows in popularity.
- Addressing interconnection policies and practices.